In Excel you can protect tables with the so-called leaf protection with a password. In this tutorial, I’ll show you how to remove the password if you have forgotten it.
The following tutorial may of course only be used for your own files, otherwise you would be liable to prosecution. Please note the disclaimer.
- Windows Computer
- 7-Zip – Link zum kostenfreien Download
How to remove the leaf protection password from an Excel file:
- Close Excel.
- Install and start the program 7-Zip.
- Click on your Excel file with the right mouse button.
- Select 7-Zip> Open in the context menu.
- Open the folder “xl” and the subfolder “worksheets“.
- The folder “worksheets” contains a file like “sheet1.xml“.
- The more pages your Excel file has, the more files there can be – such as: sheet1.xml, sheet2.xml, …
- Drag the Excel spreadsheet to the desktop where you want to remove the leaf protection password.
- Click on the file with the right mouse button and select Open with> Editor.
- Press Ctrl + F in the editor to open the search.
- Type in “protection” and click on the “Search” or “Find Next” button.
- If you have found the passage, delete the part from “
” up to and including the following “/>“.
- Press Ctrl + S to save the changes. Close the file with the “X” in the upper right corner.
- Move the modified XML file from the desktop back to the original folder “worksheets” of the 7-Zip program.
- Confirms the copy process with “Yes“.
Now you can open the Excel file as usual with Excel. The blade guard is now removed for the table page.